Southern Virginia STEM-H Summit Returns for Fourth Year
Tuesday, January 12, 2016
The fourth Annual Southern Virginia STEM-H Summit is a two day event being held on March 22 & 23, 2016 at the Institute for Advanced Learning & Research in Danville, Virginia. Hosted by the Southside Higher Education Coalition, the summit brings together all regional stakeholders, business and community leaders, teachers and students, around the subject of STEM- H education and workforce development in southern Virginia. A goal of the summit is to foster conversations about what high quality STEM-H education looks like, along with the skills required for a truly "STEM-capable" workforce.
There are many ways to get involved in and around the summit.
- Sponsorship donations are key to offering this event completely free of charge to regional students. Organizations are welcome to consider showing support of STEM-H education by becoming a sponsor of the 2016 Summit.
- Exhibitors that support students or educators in STEM-H are encouraged to present.
Student Day is held on March 22 for regional high school students to participate in exploratory sessions and hear a motivational keynote speaker. Proposals for a 90 minute hands-on exploratory session are being accepted now.
- Educator & Community/Industry Leader Day is being held on March 23 and will include workshops with innovative resources and activities educators can take back to their classrooms. Educator workshop proposals are currently being accepted also.
Both the Student Exploratory Session proposals and the Educator Workshop proposals are due by February 12.
- Affiliate events will be held in the weeks surrounding the summit week. These events are hosted by organizations throughout the region with a focus on STEM-H topics and help increase the number of community members taking part in activities surrounding the Summit. Submissions to host an event to help promote STEM-H education are due by February 19.
- The SOVA STEM-H Education & Industry Achievement awards provide a means to formally recognize those industry members and educators that are leading the charge in creating and partnering on innovative educational opportunities. The four award categories include: Community Champion for STEM-H Education, STEM-H Educator of the Year, Innovative STEM-H Program of the Year and Elite STEM-H Education & Industry Partnership Award.
Award nominations are due by January 20 and must be located within the counties of Franklin, Halifax, Henry, Mecklenburg, Patrick, & Pittsylvania along with the cities of Danville and Martinsville.
Visit the event website for more information on the entire Southern Virginia STEM-H Summit and important deadlines.