With more than 420,000 students enrolled in over 100 in-state institutions of higher education, Virginia is the ideal location for individuals seeking to excel and further their education. Virginia has several colleges and universities that have achieved national acclaim and have areas of studies lending great value to companies across the state. Additionally, the Commonwealth’s Community College System, comprised of 23 community colleges, located on 40 campuses around the state, provides occupational and technical training programs, many of which are designed specifically to meet the needs of nearby industries. In the 2010-2011 academic year, the Community Colleges awarded more than 23,000 degrees, diplomas and certificates.
Virginia’s institutions of higher education offer exceptional diversity, ranging from public universities to small private liberal arts colleges.
- 15 public comprehensive institutions - 8 of which are doctoral institutions
- More than 50 private accredited four-year institutions
- 23 public community colleges and one public two-year college
- Vocational institutions and technical and workforce development centers
- More than 65 out-of-state institutions of higher education offer courses, and in some cases complete degree programs, at sites across Virginia
Public Four-Year Colleges and Universities
Select Private Colleges and Universities
Community Colleges and Technical Schools