We build long term constructive relationships with legislative and executive policy makers, enabling us to provide them information and insights on policy needs, proposals and questions, familiarizing them with the ever-changing science and business foundations of the industry, and facilitating meetings and dialogue with our members.
Virginia Bio works for federal policies that provide:
- Strong public support for basic and translational science research, such as National Institutes of Health (NIH) and National Science Foundation (NSF) funding, and for mechanisms to provide nondilutive support for private sector research and commercialization, through such programs as SBIR and STTR.
- An effective, balanced and up to date regulatory framework and an amply funded and accountable FDA, through continuous smart attention to user fee legislation and FDA reforms.
- Fair reimbursement for drugs, devices and diagnostics, and a reimbursement system that ensures patient access to innovation under Medicare, Medicaid, DOD and VA programs.
- Fair and adequate taxes and fair, sufficient and current regulations without disproportionate or destructive impact on firms in the industry, or on the innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem on which progress in health care, agricultural, food and industrial bioscience rests.
- Affordable, enforceable and intelligible intellectual property protection, in the US and abroad, through US patent laws, international treaties and trade negotiations and tailored exclusivity laws and regulations.