For basic research advancing beyond the academic realm into product development, the NIH provides non-dilutive federal funding through the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs. The NIH SBIR/STTR programs award over $1.25 billion in R&D funding annually to qualified small businesses developing game-changing technologies.
For those familiar with NIH SBIR, this may be a chance to learn more, ask questions, learn about resubmission processes, stay up to date on any changes in the guidelines or requirements for submissions, hear different perspectives, and network.
During this workshop, our expert will provide important information about SBIR/STTR funding and address how to craft a competitive SBIR/STTR proposal that meets the unique requirements of the NIH.
Attendees can expect to learn:
- Registration processes necessary for submission
- Overview of the SBIR/STTR program and review of NIH Program Essentials;
- Strategies for targeting your proposal to meet the reviewers’ expectations;
- Feasibility already done? NIH Direct to Phase II SBIR/STTR funding may be a fit;
- Learn how SBIR/STTR can be used to spin out university technology;
- How to approach each section of the proposal;
- How to present your small team and limited facilities to improve your score;
- Detailed explanation of each major component of the Research Plan with strategies and review criteria
- Biosketches, Facilities, Budgets, and Grantsmanship
- The importance of your Specific Aims
- Common pitfalls and how to avoid them, and more
- Stay up to date on changes in the guidelines or requirements for submissions, hear different perspectives, and network with fellow attendees!
Funded in part through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration
Instruction provided by BBC ETC
- Virginia based small tech firms & Virginia based University: $25 per person
- All Others: $75 per person
- Coffee, Bagels, & Lunch will be provided
Carilion Clinic Innovation
4348 Electric Road Room 1701 (Mill Mountain Conference Room, Side B)
Roanoke, VA 241098