ABOUT THE JOB
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Lab Scientist will design, develop and perform biological assays while also analyzing data and presenting their results as a member of HemoShear’s proprietary and collaborative partnership drug discovery program teams. The Lab Scientist will be expected to work independently in a self-directed manner as well as collaboratively alongside a larger assay team. Additional responsibilities include performing cell culture, molecular biology experiments to generate novel biological reagents, and protein production and purification. The role will require training of colleagues in the developed techniques to support the HemoShear assay team. The position involves teamwork, high levels of communication, and ensuring scientific excellence. The laboratory Scientist will work closely with the program team leaders to ensure that all work stays on schedule and is completed according to HemoShear’s standards.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Develop and optimize cell-free and cell-based assays in medium- to high-throughput (96/384-well) formats
- Generate stable cell lines and verify expression or lack of expression using molecular biology endpoints, western blots and reporter assays using various readouts (e.g., qPCR, fluorescence, luminescence, mass spectrometry, etc.)
- Protein production, purification, and characterization.
- Validate assays using defined chemical matter
- Deliver defined biomarker assays with clinical relevance.
- Proactively analyze experimental data and integrate disparate data from other experiments, literature, and other colleagues to make informed decisions to improve existing or develop new assays
- Partner with chemistry and biology teams to troubleshoot through technical and scientific challenges to deliver critical data.
- Present results, conclusions, and implications to project teams and senior management.
- M.S. with 5+ years’ experience, or Ph.D. with 2+ years’ industrial experience.
- Experience in cellular and molecular biology (DNA/RNA extraction, RT-qPCR, ddPCR, qPCR, primer design), cell-based assays (sterile tissue culture techniques, transfection, transduction, maintaining, subcloning, and banking cells).
- Experience measuring protein expression levels, turn-over and synthesis rates: western blot, ELISA, reporter assays, etc.
- Strength in experimental design, execution, and data analysis using multiple assay platforms working with various cell systems
- Experience using automated liquid handlers, plate readers and associated software
- Expertise in cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry with emphasis on small molecules interactions
- Experience in mass spectrometry is a plus
- Experience with RNAi and CRISPR is a plus
- Must be a self-starter, proactive, co-operative, and proficient at working both independently and in a small team environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills