STEM2VA: Employer Opportunities
Are you a life science company involved in R&D, pharmaceuticals, diagnostics, digital health or medical devices? Would you be interested in accepting one or more students as an intern next summer? This internship program is an excellent opportunity to train the future workforce and identify potential new hires in the future.Indicating interest now will not commit you to accept a student if you are not able to identify a candidate with the appropriate qualifications.
STEM2VA: Statewide Life Science Internship Program
Virginia Bio is excited to announce the launch of a new STEM2VA Statewide Life Science Summer Internship Program to connect 100 undergraduate and graduate students with life science companies like yours for an eight-week internship experience from June 6-July 29, 2022.
We are identifying participating companies now so that students can see potential companies they could join as an intern. If this piques your interest, sign up today using the employer registration link here. We will then add your logo and website to our page that will launch in November.
The internship program, led by Virginia Bio, will connect 100 undergraduate and graduate students with life science companies in Virginia for an eight-week internship experience.
- Application Opens: November 1, 2021
- Application Deadline: January 31, 2022
- Application Review by Employers: February 1-28, 2022
- Internship Decision Letters Sent: February 21-March 11, 2022 *No later than March 31, 2022
- Program Dates: June 6, 2022 – July 29, 2022
- Assigned work for student internships should encompass a technical aspect of the company’s work in research and development, but can also include other aspects critical for operating a life science business.
- The internship program is a full-time 40 hours/week commitment. While anticipating most internships will operate during normal business hours, employers have the flexibility to determine the exact schedule with the participating student.
- Participants will earn a stipend for the eight- week, full-time program. We are asking participating companies to match Virginia Bio’s contribution of $2,100.
- Students will be asked to join one weekly, one hour virtual workshop with their fellow cohort members to learn about leadership, team science, entrepreneurship, effective communication, and more.
- Students will be responsible for their own housing. If you or your community have housing resources, please provide that information to the intern.
At the end of the program, we will host a culminating event where interns will share a 5 minute pitch describing the company and their work during the summer.Recorded Employer Information
Students pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees, including students who graduate in Winter 2021 or Spring 2022. Eligible candidates must either be 1) students attending a Virginia higher education institution or 2) residents of Virginia attending any higher education institution.
Student Intern Selection Process:
- A representative from each participating company will be assigned login credentials to review student applications and select students they would like to interview.
- Employers will have the opportunity to review applications from students across Virginia who are interested in working in the company’s geographical region.
- Employers will contact applicants of interest directly to schedule and conduct interviews.
- Once companies have completed the student interviews and identified candidates they would like to accept (including backups), our internship program manager will send internship decision letters via email.
- Students who are selected by more than one company will be able to choose the company they prefer.
STEM2VA Employer Registration
Thank you for considering to mentor our Virginia students in this inaugural program!