STEM2VA: Internship Program
The Virginia Life Sciences Internship Program
Created to connect life sciences companies involved in R&D, pharmaceuticals, digital health, medical devices, and other related fields with community college, undergraduate, and graduate students interested in becoming future scientists, engineers, and life sciences entrepreneurs for a ten-week internship experience.
STEM2VA at a Glance
Who can participate: Virginia life sciences companies and Virginia higher education life sciences students.
STEM2VA Benefits for Employers: The employers get a pool of Virginia students to choose from for an internship position. They also get reimbursement of $2,500, e.i. 50% of the intern’s stipend.
STEM2VA Benefits for Employers: The students gain hands-on experience, get networking opportunities through STEM2VA and other Virginia Bio Connect events, and strengthen soft and hard skills by attending virtual workshops with their fellow cohort members by learning about leadership, team science, entrepreneurship, effective communication, and more.Employer Registration
- Assigned work for student internships should encompass a technical aspect of the company’s work in research and development but can also include other aspects critical for operating a life science business.
- The internship program is mostly an 8 to 10-week, full-time commitment. While anticipating most internships will operate during regular business hours, employers have the flexibility to determine the exact schedule with the participating student.
- Participants will earn a stipend for their full-time program. Participating companies will be reimbursed for 50% ($2,500) of the intern’s stipend.
- Students will be asked to join virtual workshops with their fellow cohort members to learn about leadership, team science, entrepreneurship, effective communication, and more.
- Students will be responsible for their own housing as the STEM2VA program does not provide housing accommodations but can provide resources to those in need. If you or your community have housing resources, please provide that information to the intern.
- At the end of the program, we will host a culminating event for interns to share their projects completed during their summer experience.
Student Eligibility & Selection Criteria
All students pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees, recent graduates at a Virginia higher education institution, or residents of Virginia attending any higher education institution are eligible for STEM2VA internship.
Student Intern Selection Process:
- A representative from each participating company will be assigned login credentials to review student applications and select students they would like to interview.
- Employers will be able to review applications from students across Virginia interested in working in the company’s geographical region.
- Employers will contact applicants of interest directly to schedule and conduct interviews.
- Once companies have completed the student interviews and identified candidates they would like to accept (including backups), our internship program manager will send internship decision letters via email.
- Students selected by more than one company can choose the company they prefer.
- Participating companies selecting interns are located in:
- Richmond Metropolitan Area
- Coastal Virginia (Norfolk and Hampton Roads)
- Northern Virginia
Please see our frequently asked questions for additional details to the STEM2VA Summer 2023 Internship Program
STEM2VA Employer Registration
Thank you for considering to mentor our Virginia students through this program!